2009-02-26

The Intruders - I'll Always Love My Mama



The Intruders are a cornerstone of the Philly soul scene. They shaped the sound of Philly soul by starting as a doo-wop act and adding elements from gospel and later from the sound of Gamble & Huff. I'll Always Love My Mama is a classic soul/disco tune penned by Gamble, Huff, McFadden and Whitehead. When you have such an all-star team as writers and The Intruders performing, there's no way you could go wrong. This masterpiece was originally released in 1973 but I've the 1977 reissue that features couple of classic Billy Paul tunes on the flipside. The 1977 version is an extended mix by Tom Moulton. It was released to promote a compilation titled Philadelphia Classics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! Right up my street.

T-Bird said...

i had no idea there was a version this long!
i should have known, given that it was in philly int'l, but...