2008-10-26

Ann Sexton appreciation



In my opinion Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu is the best movie director of the 21st century. I was wathing his 2003 masterpiece 21 Grams yesterday. You really have to check it out in case you haven't. The flick is awesome and the soundtrack features Ann Sexton's classic You're Losing Me. I realized I hadn't been listening to Ann Sexton for a while so I decided to post all my favorite Ann Sexton tunes.

Her songs weren't very successful when they were originally released but later many of them have become popular on the Northern soul scene. I've always appreciated her voice that is equally great in smooth soul ballads and hard hitting souther funk. The first two songs appear on this 7" and the latter two on this 7". Both singles came out in 1973 under a small label, Seventy-Seven Records. All four songs can be found also on Ann Sexton Anthology put together by Soul Brother Records.

EDIT: This turns into a mega post but I gotta add this. I was looking for the trailer of 21 Grams on youtube and came across to this one. It's a clip from the Baltic Soul Weekend '08. Ann Sexton is in her 50s still rocking it harder than these whining, anorectic souls sisters of today. Amazing!



1 comment:

Alextillalia Designs said...

Great posst thankyou